Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Korean War POW Who Never Came Home

Here is an article I just did for The New Yorker about Corporal John Roedel Dunn, a GI who got captured by the Chinese during the Korean War and for reasons no one knows, decided to defect after bravely standing up to his captors for more than two years. If he'd only held on for another couple of weeks, he would have been a war hero. But whatever he did, he considered unforgiveable and instead he became one of the despised turncoats and even though the others all eventually were allowed to return to the U.S., he was never heard from again. Until now. Read the full story here.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the article. Thank you. I wondered about Mr. Dunn's children and what light they might be able to shed on his outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marc. Glad you enjoyed the article. I hope to get out to Zilena before I come home and get the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete