Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Bonnie and Clyde, Herbert T., and the Devil's Pocketwatch

Clyde points with his free hand to a stack of paper bags on the counter. “Boog, take one of them bags and put all the bills in it. Leave the coins.” He steps back and I go over to the cash drawer. Nothing there but a couple ones and fives. The man and woman stare at me, their eyes wide and mouths gaping. Despite all my jangling nerves and throb of adrenalin, I still manage to feel like a complete heel frightening them and taking their money. I look at them for a second and almost immediately the woman’s eyes go down to a newspaper on the counter. I steal a glance down at it. The headline screaming across The Abilene News-Republican proclaims: “SEARCH ON FOR DEVIL’S POCKETWATCH.” Suddenly I feel like the air has been sucked out of my lungs. The two look at me as if any second I might breathe fire and destroy them both.
“I don’t have it,” I tell them in a low voice. 


(Excerpt from Friend of the Devil)

No comments:

Post a Comment