Thursday, February 5, 2015

Deep Ellum Icon: Honest Joe's Pawn Shop

Here is an original sign (there were hundreds) from Honest Joe's Pawn Shop, for decades a Deep Ellum institution. Here is how I used it in "Friend of the Devil," as a pawn shop in Del Rio:

The tower bell starts ringing, bong, bong, bong, and that’s when I see, a block and a half up the street, a big sign for Honest Joe’s Pawn Shop, which I don’t remember being there before. Bong, bong, bong. So I wrap my arm tight around my guitar case and start running toward it. The whole way up, there’s folks standing there saying, Hey Slim, Hi Slim, Where you running to, Slim? And to each of them I give a nice, friendly how you all, because as anyone in the business will tell you, fans are money in the bank.
http://www.amazon.com/Friend-Devil-Brendan-McNally-ebook/dp/B004VXK1LKThe bell is still ringing when I force myself to stop and catch my breath for a second before going in, because nothing good ever happens to anyone who comes too fast into a pawnshop. Honest Joe’s is really just a hole in the wall; less an emporium than a vestibule with a couple glass display cases filled with trays of watches, rings, and pocketknives.
Honest Joe is a little bald gnome of a man with green eyeshades, who sits perched on a swiveling metal high chair. He looks up from his racing form and swivels to face me. “Whattaya need?” he drawls.
I set my guitar case on the counter and open it. He tries not to look impressed, but he is. “That’s a Martin, innit?” he asks. I nod.
“I need a gun,” I tell him. 
(Excerpt from "Friend of the Devil," available on Kindle)

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. pawn shop scottsdale az

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. pawn shops in arizona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work.. pawn shops in az

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very informative article. We repairs all types jewelry. We offer Quick in store service. Great thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The loans are still pawn shop quality, just without the social stigma of being spotted hocking the family jewels on the wrong side of town. pawn shops in arizona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unlike electronics equipment, firearms do not lose their value too soon, making them some of the best items for acquiring loans quickly. pawn shops in avondale az



    ReplyDelete